Wednesday 11 March 2015

TAGS


When I was a girl all I cared about was the tags
Even if they held me back from the stars
FRIEND.  tag that
BESTFRIEND. tag that
RIDE OR DIE. tag that
GIRLFRIEND. tag that
and all sorts of things humans use to put you in a box
Don't get me wrong, good things might come from the box
When I was a girl I so wanted to please
Even if it means my breath would seize
See I was the kind of girl you would back stab
Yet, I will hand over my clothes to clean your knife
When I was a girl, I wore mask upon mask to suit the boy who calls me girlfriend
Even if the girl I see in the mirror was someone I dreaded
Holding hands and saying sweets words of how we stole each others heart wasn't our thing
But not to worry, I did steal something.
Talking notes upon notes behind close doors of my parent's room in dim lights
for months was our way of saying good-night
"What can I ever do without you" of course was my reward
And to feel better, I tell myself how am a Savior to his world
You see, I didn't care about being me
I only was scared he would wake up one morning not needing me
When I was a girl, I let the world decide who I would be next
"Boys love a damsel in distress" Damsel I was, distress I feigned.
"Boys love girls who can pay bills" Currency bills I stole to fend.
"Boys love a gamer" My brothers games I always tried to lend
"Boys love them quiet" no matter how I tried my talker self knew no mend
When I was a girl I always tried to look good on his ego
So even if bills were paid with me preying on my parent's money like a mosquito
We kept on an air like he buys all I ever needed like a hero
Seventeen and naive, well I was a girl!
When I was a girl, I thought winning the boys was the prize.
Never knew weaning myself of them would give me a rise.
When I was a girl I just wanted to belong to someone
With no guide, I gave my love to just anyone
At-least I had a tag. GIRLFRIEND
When I was  girl I let people walk all over me
come when they need me and dump when they don't need me
But atleast I had a tag. FRIEND
Oh when I was a girl I let people define me
I laid with people who neither slept nor dreamt so my dreams were unrealistic
But atleast they tagged me their RIDE or DIE
But right now, this very minute I give up all the tags
Am no longer a girl neither am I a woman frankly I don't know what stage this is
BUT
Am not riding with you if I don't know where we riding to.
Are we taking a cab?
School bus?
Walking?
Wait! Why do I have to die?
You are not my friend if we can't see ourselves in poetry
You are not my friend if you keep debiting me and never credit me
You don't get to tag me friend if you don't know I write nor I care I do or mock my dreams
I don't want you if am going to be an option for you
I give up the tags.
Am not your girlfriend if you are not a feminist
I don't want your GIRLFRIEND tag if am on board because of how I make you look not feel
I don't want them tags.
Am no longer a girl
And I sure as hell don't care about the tags no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment